Search this site

Frequently Asked Questions by international students

You may find the answer to a specific question you have about Widener University on this page. See frequently asked questions about:


Which degrees can I study at the University?
See the undergraduate majors and master's degrees available to international students at Widener University.

How can I find out about the degree programs?
Links to more information about all Widener University majors can be found on the University's online Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog.

How long are undergraduate University degrees in the USA?
The USA operates a 4 year degree system. Read more about the structure of undergraduate degrees in America.

How long are Master's degrees in the USA?
At Widener University, a full-time graduate student can complete their master's degree in:

  • MBA - 12 months
  • MS Taxation and Financial Planning - 16 months
  • Master of Engineering - 2 academic years

How many academic credits are the master's degrees?
30 credits.

When do I have to choose the degree I want to study?
You must choose your preferred degree before you apply. Undergraduate applicants have the flexibility to change major in their second year.

^ top


What are the entry requirements?
In general, you must meet the entry requirements for your chosen degree program, except:

See the entry requirements page for full details.

What are the academic grades needed for a Widener University bachelor's degree?
A minimum academic background of high school graduation with the equivalent of 2.75 GPA (Grade Point Average). Contact us to find out if your qualification is accepted.

What are the academic entry requirements for a Widener University master's degree?
Minimum Grade Point Average of 2.8, completion of the equivalent of a 4-year US bachelor's degree from an accredited university, and a GRE or GMAT score. See the entry requirements page for details or contact us to find out if your qualification is accepted.

How are my academic records evaluated?
You will need to provide an official copy of your academic transcripts, translated into English, with your application. Additionally, graduate applicants must provide a professional evaluation of your academic credentials. View the guide to requesting an evaluation from World Education Service.

Are SAT or ACT scores required for bachelor's degrees

Is the GMAT or GRE test required for master's degrees

How old must I be to apply to Widener University?
You must be at least 17 years old on commencement of your program.

Can US citizens apply?
We accept applications from US citizens who do not reside in Pennsylvania, and do not have English as a first language.

^ top


How can I find out my English language level?
You can take a sample Password English language test for a fee of GBP 5.00, to give you an indication of your English level.

Do I need to take a TOEFL or IELTS exam before applying to the program?

What level of English language do I need for a Widener University degree?
An equivalent English level of TOEFL 75 iBT/540 PBT for undergraduate study or TOEFL 95 iBT/587 PBT for graduate study.

^ top


What are the fees?
Tuition fees in US dollars (USD) are shown on the fees page. Tuition fees are likely to rise each academic year.

Can I get a scholarship?
No. Unfortunately, we do not offer any grants or scholarships for the Pre-Master's Program.

What are the University degree fees?
The price of a bachelor's degree is held at the same level for all 4 years of undergraduate study. See fees page for the tuition payable by students entering this academic year.

How can I pay my fees?
We have a new payment gateway set up for your convenience. Please see details on how to pay using the online gateway.

More information on payment of fees can be found in our Terms and Conditions.

When are the fees payable?
Once you accept your offer of a place, we require a deposit in order to release the immigration documents that you will need to apply for a visa. The remaining fees can either be paid by semester, or for the full year. Payments are due:

  • July 25th for the fall semester
  • December 15th for the spring semester
  • April 10th for the summer semester

How can fees be paid?
We accept payment by wire (electronic bank transfer), check or Bank Draft drawn in US dollars, or by the following credit cards: Visa, Mastercard, American Express. See details on how to pay online.

Do I have to pay all the fees at once?
No. You may choose to pay for your program by semester to spread the cost over a longer period.

Do I have to pay fees in advance?
Yes. All students must pay the entire invoiced amount for each semester in full and in advance of each semester start date. See the due dates above.

Are there any charges?

  • Payments made by credit card after the due date will be subject to a fee of 2% of the total invoiced amount.
  • Students with balances due after 30 days are subject to a $500 late payment fee.

Do I get a refund if I cancel my place?
For details see our Terms and Conditions.

^ top


When can I start?
You can start the in January, May or August each year.

What is the duration for Widener University semesters?

Semester Academic duration
Spring  16 weeks
Summer  11-12 weeks
Fall  15 weeks

Can I take a break during during the semester?
No. There is usually a short break between the end of one semester and the beginning of the next.

How long will I study at Widener University before I get my American degree?
That depends on your English level on entry, and which degree you plan on obtaining.

^ top


What is the deadline for applications?

We recommend that you apply as early as possible, because the visa application process may cause delays to your admission. However, we offer rolling admissions - after the deadlines, your application form will be accepted, but you will be considered for the next intake.

How do I apply?
You can start your application in two ways:

  1. Download the PDF application form print, complete, and fax or email to us.
  2. Contact our Student Enrollment Advisors using the online form to first ask a question about university application.

What do I do after sending my application form?
You must send supporting evidence and documents with your university application. Graduate applicants must arrange for an academic evaluation to be mailed directly to Study Group. Other documents can be sent by email or uploaded using the secure link that we send to you. See the steps in the admissions process.

Who will help me with my application?
Our team of expert International Student Advisors will support you with your application and with the visa process right up until you arrive at Widener University. Read more in the Contacting us FAQ.

When will I receive the documentation required for visa application?
If your application is successful, we will offer you a place at the University. To accept your place, you must send a $3,000-$5,000 deposit (varies depending on country of residence). Once we have received your deposit payment we will send you an I-20 document. You will need to submit this with your visa application.

More information on getting a student visa for University in the USA.

How long does it take to apply to the University?
If your application is successful, we will issue an offer within 2 weeks once we have all your relevant documentation.

^ top


Is there an insurance policy offered to international students?
International students are eligible for Widener University student insurance.

Do I need a visa to study in the US?
Yes. See our visas page for more information. Visas will be issued for the entire duration of your studies at Widener University.

Do I need immunizations before I travel to the US?
Yes. Based on US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, all international students must receive required immunizations before arriving at Widener University.

Can I work while I am a student in the US?
You are legally allowed to work in positions on-campus for up to 20 hours per week during University semesters, and up to 35 hours per week during vacation breaks. Further advice can be found on the Widener University International Student Services web pages.

When do I have to submit my pre-arrival documents?
Accepted applicants must submit all University documents and forms required for registration at least 2 weeks before their arrival date. This includes the medical forms and flight arrival form.

How do I get to Widener University?
Full details of how to travel to the University are on the maps and transport page.

Will I be picked-up from the airport?
Yes, if you book and pay for a transfer on arrival from Philadelphia International Airport (PHL). This means that a private vehicle will take you to campus.

When should I arrive at the University?
You must arrive at the University in time for international student orientation, which is usually held the week before classes start. The exact dates for the next intake are given in the dates FAQ.

^ top


How do I find out more about the courses or the University?
If you have a question and cannot find the answer on this website, please contact us. We will be pleased to help you with any questions you have.

Who will answer my questions?
Our team of expert Student Enrolment Advisers will assist you with any questions you have, and will help and support you through the application process, until you arrive at the University.

What if my English isn't very good?
To make it as easy as possible for you, our Advisers speak a variety of languages and understand several more. Do not worry if your English is not very good - we are experienced in communicating with non-native English speakers, and we will do our best to understand you. Please contact us.

I am trying to use your inquiry form but it does not work.
Apologies! We try to avoid errors on our inquiry form but sometimes they can occur. You can contact us by email instead on

^ top